Tips for Working during Your Study in Brisbane

Tips for Working during Your Study in Brisbane

Studying in Brisbane, the capital of Queensland and Australia’s third largest city, is sure to fully experience all that the Australian way of life has to offer – and that’s no exaggeration. You enjoy contact with nature through several parks (such as the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary), the proximity to several beaches and surf spots (Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast, for example) and the vibrant nightlife that brings together exchange students from different parts of the world (Casino Treasury Hotel, Zoo and the famous Brunswick Street).

Not to mention, of course, safety, local quality of life and excellent educational institutions – such as the University of Queensland, elected among the 50 best universities in the world, according to the World University Rankings 2022.

However, those who wish to have the opportunity to work while spending a season in the city need to pay attention to some tips to avoid adversity and facilitate the process of getting a job. With that in mind, we have gathered some of them in this post to help you with your exchange planning. Follow up!

Enroll in an authorized school

The first tip is very simple: enroll in an educational institution that has the authorization of the Australian government to receive students of other nationalities. You can take a general English course, a technical course, an undergraduate or a postgraduate course, for example, according to your needs and objectives.

After all, this is one of the requirements for obtaining a student visa, which is precisely what will give you permission to work while you are in the country – remembering that the work permit is related to the validity of the visa.

To know the status of your school, simply check whether or not it is registered with the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS), which is the body managed by the Department of Education and responsible for cataloging colleges, universities, institutes and who are able to offer courses and educational programs for natives and especially foreigners.

Request your Tax File Number (TFN)

To work during your study, you will not only need to have your passport, contact details or proof of accommodation in Brisbane at hand, but also your Tax File Number (TFN) – which can only be done when you arrive in the country and it takes a maximum of 30 days to arrive at your residence.

“But what is this document?”, you might be asking yourself. So, know that it’s a record required in any company – regardless of whether or not it’s in your field of training – so that the guarantee fund can be deducted from your salary. Precisely for this reason, the TFN is mandatory for both natives and foreigners residing in the land of kangaroos.

However, don’t worry! In addition to being quite simple to apply, since the process is all online through the Australian Taxation Office for the Commonwealth of Australia portal, it will help you to apply for a tax refund.

Look for part-time jobs

Keep in mind that when taking courses longer than 14 weeks in Brisbane, you are entitled to work up to 40 hours a fortnight – a simple measure taken by the Australian government to ensure that your studies are not compromised.

Because of this rule, you should only look for jobs that fall into the part-time category, which is called part-time work. Otherwise, you may face problems with the Department of Immigration.

On the other hand, while you are on vacation from the course, there will be no limit to the hours worked – since you are on an official break, whether at school or university. In this case, you will be able to search for full-time vacancies or, if you prefer, divide your time between two part-timers. It’s up to you!

It is worth mentioning that these job opportunities can be both formal and informal in the area of advertising – if this is the university you are studying in your own country, in related areas (design and TV production) or even in different fields, such as hospitality, gastronomy , civil construction, events, attendance and education.

Prepare your CV in English
As you look for job opportunities and find vacancies that catch your eye, it’s essential to start preparing your resume in English – or resume, as it’s called in Australia. After all, without it, it is difficult to apply for vacancies, isn’t it?

But if you’re not sure how to get started, don’t despair! Find an education agency for guidance on what should be included in the document, as it must be well prepared and adapted to the vacancy you are looking for. A good suggestion is to include your academic and professional experiences, your technical knowledge, your skills and even those extracurricular activities you deem appropriate.

Provide the necessary certification to work
Last but not least, stay tuned for the rest of the documentation needed to work during your exchange – this is because the Australian government requires in several areas that the worker has a certification, which is obtained through short courses, in order to perform the duties of the position.

Therefore, it is worth informing yourself in advance about what is required in the position for which you want to send your resume, especially if you intend to work in the most different fields during your study. Some examples of the most common certifications are:
 Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA): for those who will work in bars, pubs and other establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold;
 Blue Card: for those who will carry out activities with children and adolescents in schools, churches, clubs, children’s associations, etc.;
 Diploma of Hospitality: for those who will work with hotels, resorts and restaurants and need to deal with the public, in addition to managing and organizing products from suppliers and inventories;
 First Aid & CPR: for those who will work in education or in the health area providing emergency and first aid services;
 Responsible Conduct of Gambling (RCG): for those who will work in establishments with gambling.

Did you like the tips for working during your study in Brisbane? So, be sure to put them into practice during your time abroad to have different professional experiences, earn extra income in a legal way, have greater contact with native speakers and gain even more fluency in English!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *