Magnets are useful to us even if we are unaware of them. This material is found and used in a wide variety of applications. Rare earth magnets are the most prevalent magnet, and they’ve become indispensable in the manufacturing, medical, and electrical industries.
Rare earth magnets are not as rare as they are. It is abundant in the Earth’s crust. It is described as the strongest permanent magnets and offers a higher performance level than other magnets such as alnico and ferrite magnets. The two different types of rare earth magnets are Neodymium magnets and Samarium-cobalt magnets. Both types have different physical and magnetic properties as well as different strength grades.
Components And Uses
Neodymium magnets are composed of compounds known as NdFeb (neodymium, iron and boron). It is the strongest rare earth magnet and is the most affordable magnet available in the market. In addition, they are significantly stronger and more rigid compared to ceramic magnets. As a result, when these magnets are exposed to stress or dropped, they are less likely to break.
Several industries in the modern world use this type of rare earth magnet. Here are some of the common areas where you usually see,
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging – The imaging devices used to interact with your body, known as MRIs, contain magnets responsible for the reactions in one’s body electrons. Magnets are also used to capture the image of the side effect.
- Magnotherapy – This therapy involves magnets to relieve pain, increase blood flow, and other claims. Patients are said to be wearing magnetic jewellery, and the body will react to the magnetic field.
- Audio Equipment – This is the most common device that uses Neodymium magnets. Speakers and headphones have two magnets that control them. An electronic coil, which is another component found in this equipment, that is charged will produce vibrations once the magnet is attracted and repelled. This process allows the production of music through it.
DIY Crafts And Jewellery
- Stationery Hobbies and DIY Projects – Because magnets are very affordable and accessible in the market, we use this magnet in our everyday lives. Magnets are used in different home equipment, such as locks on the cabinet, books and planners, and even decorative wall art that needs securing in place.
- Jewellery – Some Jewellery uses magnets as clasps for pieces like necklaces and bracelets. It is a reliable and convenient way to secure the lock in these items.
Handling And Maintenance
It is important to handle magnets with utmost precaution to avoid accidents and possible injuries. Here are some safety guidelines when using them:
- Avoid drilling these magnets because neodymium powder is very flammable, which can be a fire hazard.
- Be careful in handling two or more magnets. Due to its strength, attracting forces of these magnets may be dangerous if not handled properly. Make sure to use protective equipment when dealing with them.
- Keeping it away from kids is safe. Not only are these magnets powerful, but they can also pose a choking hazard for those magnets that are smaller in size. It can be very dangerous for kids and babies, so be mindful of it when you are handling it.