Are you planning to build a new house or extend an existing one? Well, an architectural plan is certainly an important document that you will require. It illustrates everything about the structure but in a smaller representation. As a beginner, you might have a lot of questions about what an architectural plan is, how to draw architectural plans, and so on.
In this article, we are going to answer some of your questions by providing a guide on how to draw architectural plans. Read along to learn more.
What Is an Architectural Plan?
An architectural plan is a scaled-down view of the layout of a structure. It shows in detail the length and width of rooms, the relationships between various rooms, and the space for movement. It also includes appliances and furniture to fully display the rooms.
How to Draw Architectural Plans
Drawing an architectural plan includes various steps, which are discussed below.
· Select an area – The selected area will cover all the details of the area that will be under construction. From the measurements of bedrooms, bathrooms, a kitchen, and a dining room to any stairwells, the area includes all the relevant features. At this step, the measurements are not that accurate; you are only brainstorming and coming up with different designs to choose from. If you are dealing with an existing house that only needs an extension, you only have to determine the area of the extra room and not the entire house.
· Make clear measurements – Now that you have already selected the area and design of your architectural plan, the next step is to make actual, real measurements. For new buildings, the layout will be built exactly as it is planned, but for extension projects, a little more work might be done like measuring the existing walls, doors, and furniture to come up with a clear view of the entire house. As a new builder, one is advised to view other similar projects and estimate their measurements, this gives you a great opportunity to learn more that may be beneficial to you one day.
· Draw walls – After establishing a clear length and width of the architectural plan, drawing clearly measured walls is the next vital step. These walls will separate rooms from each other and will decide the size of every single room.
· Add architectural features – The next step that will determine how to draw architectural plans is adding architectural features. Add doors, windows, cupboards, sinks, a refrigerator, an oven, and any other important household appliances.
· Add furniture – Now the last step for how to draw architectural plans is to add the furniture including your master bed, couch, dining table, and seats. This makes everything look neat and presentable.
How to Draw Architectural Plans: Characteristics of a Perfect Plan
There are characteristics that may determine if an architectural plan is excellent. They include these qualities.
· Develop an ideal room layout – Everyone has their own designs for rooms, but make sure the rooms have the best layout. For example, you can make your kitchen face the dining area or just be near it. Do not put your dining area upstairs and your kitchen downstairs or your dining area facing the bathroom. If you are unsure how to create a quality room layout, you can always visit Humphreysandsons for the best architectural services around you.
· Try to make the rooms more versatile and flexible – In the future, when you want to turn your guest room into an office, you can easily do so by making minor changes. This is also good in case you need to sell your house in the future.
Now that you know how to draw architectural plans, you will understand their importance. A construction project cannot proceed without them. With good architectural plans, you can have confidence that your finished project will meet your expectations.